Wednesday, January 1, 2014

EATING SEA BASS WITH VINHO VERDE 12/13/2013


EATING SEA BASS WITH VINHO VERDE
 

Our guide knew a fine little restaurant where they did a famous sea bass recipe. 
It is called Mestre ze Cascais and gets good reviews on the internet although no one mentions the sea bass we ate. 

a photo of the place is here:
 MESTRE ZE CASCAIS

The fish was cooked in a cake of salt that was then broken when served.  This reminded me of the cub scout method of cooking bluegills in a cake of clay in the fire and then breaking it open and eating the steamed fish.



 HERE IS HOW THE FISH COMES OUT OF THE OVEN.  AND FOLLOWING SHOTS SHOW THE WAITER SERVING US.  VERY LITTLE BONING WAS LEFT TO US.
 




With the fish we ate octopus salad and some potatoes.  Both were good.  The octopus was nothing like the chewy, rich fried calamari in Spanish pubs that I can never get a taste for. 
(note:  I sent this to Paul Greenberg, author of Four Fish because he has a chapter on sea bass and I am, or thought I was, friends with him on Facebook.  He gave no comment but deleted my post on his timeline.  Rather snobby I'd say.  No wonder he gets so few "likes" for his posts.)

Also, we drank vinho verde, another famous wine of Portugal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinho_Verde
It has become popular in the US where it is not expensive.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/03/dining/vinho-verde-portuguese-for-cheap-and-cheerful.html?_r=0

We liked it, but for me and my taste, nothing really replaces a good dry red wine. 
However, this was the drink recommended with the fish by our guide and we had to give it a go.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

No spam. No advertisements. Please.