Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Cabo Da Roca EDGE OF THE WORLD 12/13/2013

EDGE OF THE WORLD


or


END OF THE WORLD
Onde a terra se acaba e o mar começa

It is astounding to me that Vasco de Gama would venture out to near the edge of the world where he fully expected to meet dragons that might eat him, and all to bring spices from India.  Food and flavor drive a good bit of exploration.
And in our imagination, on this visit to Cabo de Rocca, we were at end of land and perhaps very near the edge of the world where if sea monsters did not slay us, we would just fall off the edge.
In the olden times this was believed to be the end of the world.  It is the Roca Cape Cliffs, at the westernmost point in continental Europe.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabo_da_Roca

Now there is a new story told there.  Although it is directly across the water from Washington, the story is that on the right day and depending upon how much wine one drinks, a visitor can see the Statue of Liberty.
I told the guide that I had waved to Obama and I was fairly certain he waved back.  However, I don't think I've managed to start another viable urban legend.

It was a fine place to visit with rocky cliffs, a little light house, and some great views.
Here is a video I found of the area.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA9SjJNYK4o







 




















There were no birds, but I guess at the right time we might see these



                 There were a few blooming bits of color 




2 comments:

  1. Saw Obama in the background of one is the pictures!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Thanks for all the comments Ana. And yes, that was a phone from my childhood.

    ReplyDelete

No spam. No advertisements. Please.